Saturday, February 19, 2011

Chronic Pain

I have a deep respect for anyone who bears well under constant pain. This is to a certain extent because I suffer from chronic pain and have done so since birth. There are good days and bad. Today happens to be a little more mediocre than I would like but enough of that.

Paul too labored under a chronic illness. He plead for the LORD to take it away but HE said no.GOD gave Paul the response, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness."

Hard words if taken at face value. But GOD knows each of us. In Paul's case, it may have been to offset a possible case of pride. Paul was given a wondrous vision of paradise, something that he himself says could have led him to be conceited. Thus GOD allowed the "thorn" into Paul's life to remind him where his true strength and worth came from.

I know when I have a particularly bad day that I have to depend more on other people. This can be quite humbling. But also it uplifts me. Their efforts are a love-gift to me. I also lean more on GOD, knowing that it is indeed HIS strength that allows me to take the next step.

Often it is when we are in pain that we make the biggest steps in our faith journeys. We are made to slow down, take stock, and take heed.

No comments:

Post a Comment