Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Insurance

So, my insurance company played around with my medications again. I'm sure many of you can relate. You just get used to a regimen that doesn't throw you too far off balance then they up and change it.

Don't get me wrong, I feel blessed that I have insurance. So many don't. But it does get frustrating when you are switched off a blood pressure medication that works well for you to one they hope will work because it is cheaper at this point. I am on the wonderful merry-go-round of "side effects that may occur in some patients but suck it up anyway".

I do have a problem with how powerful the insurance industry has gotten though. Medical costs are so high that you really do need insurance but often you are left questioning the merits. You are usually forced to see a certain set of doctors, take an approved list of pills, and then they still want to stick you with part of the bill.

Now, that  being said, I don't believe Obama's healthcare initiatives are the way either. For  one thing their constitutional status is in question. Second, I believe there was too much influence by special interests to have a workable program. Third, I have no idea how he thought the federal government could manage it given how far in debt we are.

This is all getting a bit off point. I'll just say that if the healthcare industry(which includes the different pharmaceutical companies) would satisfy themselves with a bit less profit, then perhaps more could be helped.

No comments:

Post a Comment